Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What The Hell Is Dysautonomia?



I realize that this is not design related, but it is something that is very near and dear to my heart (literally). Sept. 14-20 is Dysautonomia Awareness week. You're probably asking yourself, "What the hell is Dysautonomia?" Let me help clear that up.

The short answer is that it is an umbrella term that describes a bunch of neurological disorders that result from a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system (ANS). Okay, I can see the puzzled look on your face, so I'll just go ahead and explain what the ANS is. It is part of the peripheral nervous system and it is responsible for controlling the involuntary functions of the body, i.e. Heart rate, breathing, digestion, and so many other things I won't bore you with by listing them all right here. In a nutshell, it is your body's auto pilot. Without it, you're kinda screwed. Imagine your heart racing as if you're running a marathon while doing nothing more than sitting on the couch. Or how about your blood pressure falling just because you stood up, which makes you almost pass out from the lack of blood to your brain. Trust me when I say, it is not a party. In all seriousness, it is a very difficult and debilitating disorder. I know because I have Dysautonomia. I was diagnosed a year ago and have been working very hard to beat it ever since.

In the interest of spreading awareness (seeing as how it's Dysautonomia Awareness Week), here are some great links to check out.

Dysautonomia Information Network
Dysautonomia Youth Network of America
National Dysautonomia Research Foundation
NINDS Dysautonomia Information Page
Demystify Dysautonomia on Facebook

Dysautonomia can affect anyone at any age. It has no cure and many doctors have no clue how to treat it. Please educate yourself and others. Spread the word. You never know, it may help someone you love one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment